Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Rolling Thunder

This is up for sale.


I forget if this pin was by request for my brother (I usually have extra print outs) or if I just threw it in there because I knew he would like it. 
Unfortunately, I have never seen "Rolling Thunder". Its definitely on my long list of movies that I need to see. As far as I know, it has not been released officially on DVD. You can buy the used VHS for a decent price off Amazon (which I need to do when I have some extra money). I'm kinda surprised that hasn't garnered a nice re-release since Quentin Tarantino uses its name and imagery for his production company. You can see the hook (which William Devane's hand is reduced to after an injury) tear at the "A" and shortly afterwards start seeing the first scenes of "Kill Bill". Tarantino's company put out "Switchblade Sisters" (I have pins for movie too!), why not "Rolling Thunder"? There must some sort of copyright issue or something. You can get the TCM version where they burn copies on demand, but its not the same. Special Features pleeze. Also, there was a short time that you could watch it "Instantly" on Netflix. 
Paul Schrader, who wrote this movie, also did "Hardcore" (hey, I have a pin for that too!) and "Taxi Driver". William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones (in a real early role) star in it. Devane always seemed like a creep to me. Maybe not in real life, but a great casting decision to play one for sure. In the second "Bad News Bears", he was a total deadbeat Dad to Jackie Earle Haley (in his Kelly Leak days). Whenever I've read Richard Bachman/Stephen King's "Rage", I always picture Devane as the Dad who talks about slitting noses over a campfire. And of course, Jackie Earle Haley could have played the main character, Charles Decker (who could also just as easily have been Michael Kramer from "Over The Edge"). That book was never made into a film because it apparently caused some real school shootings. Times certainly have changed. When was the last time you heard a string of crimes were committed by a fictional novel? 
Let me rack my brain for the artwork process. I basically combined a couple of different posters together to get the best quality and legibility in the title. I think I took the image from one source and the title from another if I remember correctly. I'm not sure. I know I edited out the "tagline" from the image. I may have brightened the red lettering as well.  
Upon my research in this post, I believe I may have found a link that streams the entire film. My internet is kinda slow, so I can't confirm this at the moment. UPDATE: Sorry, its in Spanish. :( UPDATE #2 (7/2012): I finally saw via this link. Amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment