Friday, August 5, 2011

Beach Ball

I just sold this button to an all inflatables company. How funny!

It's "Beach Ball"!

A too cute, bad-lip syncing, everybody looks too old for their roles type of movie. It's the not best in the Beach Party genre, but it certainly isn't as bad as one reviewer off the Internet Movie Database claims. I think talking about Edd Byrnes "showing off his hairy, flabby chest" is a tad harsh. The movie is total fluff, and sometimes borderline sexist, but I still liked it. I always love the credit introductions on Beach Party movies. This one has adorable, 16 Magazine, Archies esque simple drawings. 


They must've had a hell of a budget on this movie, because there's a lot of music groups featured like The Walker Brothers (so weird!), The Righteous Brothers (Sid Haig plays their drummer!), The Hondells, The Four Seasons, The Nashville Teens, and finally the Supremes. They (Diana, Flo-who's a better singer, and Mary) do a great song similar to "When The Lovelights Shine" called "Surfer Boy". 

The fictional group that "Beach Ball" is about, called the Wigglers, end up playing in drag at a custom car show. Man, they were one UGLY band! I couldn't help but think of this predating the New York Dolls. Also, how (off the top of my head) this is second time I've seen a fictional group dress in drag in a beach party movie. The other was the opposite, girls dressed up like guys (The Beatles in this case, singing "I Wanna Marry A Beatle") in "The Girls On The Beach" (which I also have a pin for).
Let's talk about the artwork for this pin. I took a movie poster, removed the extra balls, removed "technicolor" and blanked out the background. In retrospect, I probably should have used the light blue instead of the dark, or just erased the lettering off the "wave" design and moved it up. I didn't want to keep it white because that's boring. There's always next time, always room for improvement on anything. 

This movie is available to watch "instantly" on Netflix. The instant only Netflix movies have the oddest movie poster/box front interpretations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment