Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Head" with The Monkees

I just sold this pin on eBay.

"Head" featuring the Monkees is a crazy film. Its been a long time since I've seen it though. Its funny to me that its a G Rated movie since it seems so drug related, psychedelics and such. I guess that's what happens when Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper are involved. Today, this movie would have NEVER been made with today's stale teeny boppers. I mean, the Monkees were considered safe, teen idols, but with great records. It seems as if this movie could have been a major risk on their reputation, that maybe parents wouldn't think of them as nearly as squeaky clean as their TV show. Who knows? I could be wrong. What did parents think of Frank Zappa (who appears as "The Critic")? I bet they didn't know that he wasn't a drug user, just a coffee addict.

It has a really good soundtrack (with a mirrored front cover), with such greats as "Circle Sky", "As We Go Along" and the Jerry Goffin/Carole King penned "Porpoise Song". That song is in an amazing opening sequence when the Monkees run from the cops and jump into the ocean to escape them. 

From what I remember, there's also some funny, strange dialogue such as "Bring me a large glass of gravy with a hair in it". There's also a segment where they play dandruff in someone's hair. 
With this pin's artwork, I simply cut out the group and pasted the word "HEAD" over them, playing with opacity so you could still see them underneath. I'm not sure why I didn't use the original logo. Maybe it didn't pan out the way I wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment