Friday, October 7, 2011

Courtneys

One Inch Button FOR SALE!
Or you can always buy them from me in person at any Hot Hands show!
 
(Sorry for the tiny text, I can't seem to change the formatting in Blogger)

Courtneys was a band that I played drums for around 2006 through I think 2008. Our last show was opening for Gravy Train!!! I still have a bunch of these buttons that I made, which were all completely different. I used a bunch of random photo objects and goofy clip art. 
The band was around before I joined along with my fiance, Jeffrey who played bass. It started with two best friends named Courtney who began playing actively in bands as early as middle school. They started as Detzel which was named after someone they knew (not sure if it was a compliment or not). It might've been the same kinda idea I had in high school when I wanted to name a band after a teacher I didn't like named Tracy Rice (never happened). 
..
(Early Video)
(Courtney R., Courtney M., Issac)

Anyway, Courtneys started playing shows as a 3 piece (as far as I remember) around 2004-2005-ish with their friend Issac on drums. Jeffrey and I saw them play at Austin's Coffee (I think that was the first time we saw them). Half their set was a drum machine and the other was real drums. I knew I immediately wanted to play drums for them because I just hated drum machines in general and wanted to add some power and soul to these great compositions that were backed by these electronic beats. I remember though being intimidated by Issac's overall talent, so i figured I wasn't good enough to play drums for them. I have this funny urge or instinct to always want to help other musicians make their music sound as best and as powerful as it possibly be. 

After seeing them a bunch of times, they unfortunately lost their drummer, who if I remember right was busy with going to school. They brought in Jeff from Mumpsy, (who is a great drummer) but he was already wrapped up in many projects at that time. I got an email from one of the girls about playing some show they were doing, but for some reason that never happened. Eventually, the four of us (Courtney, Courtney, Jeffrey and I) got together and things really started to click and develop. I was actually starting out in another band at the same time called Jeanie and the Tits, so I was super busy! 

(Me at Skull Kingdom)


We played all kinds of wacky shows including the now closed, Skull Kingdom and this girl Jenna's Sweet 16 party in a hotel on International Drive that looks like a castle. We shared that bill with our "brother" band, Doris Delay who were amazing. I'm still trying to track down a copy of their unreleased album! 

After awhile, Courtney R. (who is nauseatingly talented) was losing interest and she eventually moved away to Chicago. We carried on as a 3 piece, writing really oddball songs and trying to push the boundaries of song structure. 

As for recordings, there are some early recordings by the two Courtneys girls, which I believe include the instrumental, "Zebra" and a song that originally used drum machine called "Boo" that was carried forward in the lineup I was in. As a four piece, we have a 5 song EP/CD called "Shake It If You Got It" (still have copies if you want to buy one). I play drums on I think 3 out of the 5 songs. Funny enough, our best known song called "Bodman Bunny" (which the "Shake It.." phrase is the chorus) became widely used for some reason on random You Tube videos. I kinda sound like a drum machine in it. ha. 

There were a few others that have since been taken down. One was with this girl dancing in her bedroom who trips and falls over at the end. I can't remember the others off the top of my head. 

That was a fun band!

Just found this, apparently the guy from Early Next Year hated us. Hilarious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment